Chronic Infection is any infection that persists over a long period of time. Occasionally, and depending on the microbial agent involved, chronic infection may manifest as a variety of symptoms and can also be episodic when triggers are present. Chronic infection can deplete the immune system and so, the immune system must be supported and maintained in a matter that it can withstand and prevent pathogens from further causing damage.
Symptoms of chronic infection can vary, depending on the microorganism involved (eg. Bacteria, virus, parasite, etc). Symptoms include, but are not limited to:
- Digestive upset: bloating, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting
- Neurological: tremors, numbness/tingling, excruciating nerve-related pain
- Musculoskeletal: joint pain, muscle pain
- Respiratory: Cough, wheezing, shortness of breath
- Sinus: congestion, runny nose, colored nasal discharge
- Reproductive/Urinary: Pain on urination, foul-smelling discharge, abdominal pain, lower back pain
- Fever, chills, headache
The primary goal of any infection is to determine the pathogen causing the infection. This can be done through various blood and urine tests, depending on where the medical history leads us.
Once the type of infection is determined by one of our naturopathic doctors at the Nardella Clinic in Calgary, treatments are recommended to eradicate the infection, support the body’s immune system, manage symptoms, and repair any damage caused from the infection. This can be accomplished through:
- Nutrition – certain foods can worsen symptoms of infection and permit growth of pathogenic bacteria
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy to eliminate pathogens that hide in tissues such as joints and nerve tissue
- Intravenous Therapies
- Individualized Supplementation
- Supporting the immune system
- Strengthening the immune system
- Fighting off pathogens
Schedule A Consult
Please fill out the form below to begin the consultation scheduling process. We will be in touch with you right away to finalize your information.