With the month of January upon us again, post-holiday cleanses/detoxes are a great way to start the New Year. Our naturopaths recommend colonic hydrotherapy to help improve and increase the detoxification process. In addition to aiding detoxification, colonics help to promote healthy bowel function, improve digestive health, and address chronic digestive disorders. Colonic treatments are an important component of an overall healthy treatment program, especially after the holidays.
The large intestine is approximately 1.5 m long. Over time fecal matter builds up in the colon affecting the absorption of nutrients and the removal of toxins. Colonic hydrotherapy uses water to gently cleanse the large intestine by hydrating the colon and rinsing out old material. A colonic is different from an enema, as it has the ability to cleanse the entire large intestine whereas enemas only clean the very end of the colon. Although anyone can benefit from colon hydrotherapy to promote general health, colonics are a particularly important component of improving digestive health in a variety of conditions including:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Abdominal Pain
- Small intestine bacterial overgrowth
- Dysbiosis (abnormal bacteria growth)
Detoxification and Vitality
In addition to treating these conditions, many patients will notice increased energy, clearer skin, clearer thinking, decreased pain and bloating, and better health due to an increased absorption of nutrients.
- Healthy bowel function
- Decreased inflammation
- Reduced allergy potential
- Increased Energy
- Increased nutrient absorption
- Promote organ health
Reflorastation for Healthy Gut Flora
Treatment may also include the use of probiotic reflorastation at the end of the colonic for further effect. The colonic treatment and reflorestation are done during the same visit so that toxins, old material, abnormal bacteria, yeasts or parasites are flushed from the colon and, immediately after, the probiotics are introduced to repopulate the colon and establish a healthy gut flora.
Healthy gut flora has been shown to be beneficial in numerous ways including improved immunity, regulating bowel movements, and increased detoxification. Beneficial bacteria helps to normalize bowel movements in patients suffering from IBS and helps to decrease inflammation in patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Much of the nervous system is also in our gut, and as result, a healthier more balanced digestive system can also help to improve mood. The establishment of beneficial bacteria in the gut also helps to protect from recurrence of infections such as candida.
- All patients are screened by one of our naturopathic doctors to ensure that they are an appropriate candidate for the therapy
- Colonics are not painful – mild discomfort similar to cramping associated with diarrhea may be experienced
- Disposable instruments are used to avoid contamination
- Treatment typically consists of 4 visits scheduled 1 week apart
- Individual sessions are approximately one hour
- Additional treatments may be required, as determined by your naturopathic doctor
- Annual colonic treatment is recommended for maintaining a healthy colon
Our naturopathic doctors at the Nardella Clinic in Calgary can help you tailor an individualized plan to help you improve your digestive health.
Interesting fact: Colon cleanses date back as far as Ancient Egypt and Greece!